2.18.2010

*#$!

I have a few bones to pick with law enforcement officers who create a lot of work for me.

I legally own a handicap placard because of my deformed discs and spinal canals. BYU states that any student with said coveted object can park in A-lot (professor) parking spots because they don't provide enough handicap stalls. I have now received 3 BYU parking tickets for parking in A-lot spots "without valid permit." When I file an "appeal" they always drop the charge, but going in is annoying.

One beautiful day I was driving from Ellie's house to my own and got pulled over (going 3 mph above limit). The cop said he was going to "let me off" for speeding...(what?)...and gave me a ticket for "failure to change address within 10 days." I informed him that I am an AZ resident and therefore am not required to change my address because I am in UT temporarily. He got a little red and reacted by saying that I must go to the DMV and get a sticker with my new address stuck to my license. (WHAT?) So I went and the disgruntled employees laughed at me as there is no such thing. Not willing to pay the ridiculously high fine...I had to go to court. Where 13 year-old-druggies in small town UT were literally licking one anothers necks. It gets better. I spoke with the prosecuting attorney, and asked him if my "charge" was legitimate seeing as I can't very well put a UT address on an AZ license. All sweaty 350 lbs of him loomed over me and he said that he "had no responsibility whatsoever to know what my charge was" and that I should pay the $50 and leave so I wouldn't have to book a trial and hire a lawyer.....(WHAT?) I left the court and had my judge-father send a nicely worded letter.

Learn your own laws, please. Thanks.

4 comments: