6.22.2009

Surgery Safari

On to other things, like the title of this blog. My surgical safari. Well as many of you know, I am having back surgery tomorrow. I've known I needed it since December, so its no surprise. Well, when school was getting out/ when I was in China, everyone kept asking me what my summer plans were. It seemed like everyone was doing amazing things like "Going to Jerusalem to save Orphans, alter Arab perceptions of Israel, and win the nobel prize while I write my Orca grant thesis on.... ect ect." Anyway, I applied to a really awesome program in the Dominican Republic last fall and got in! I was super excited, I thought it would be great to say I was going to China to tour like a rock star and then to the DR to teach kids. But...I couldn't go to the DR in lew of my surgery. I didn't love telling people about surgery because there is so much explaining to do, and because it made people feel sorry for me- which I totally hate. So I decided to call it my surgery safari (people go to africa to get plastic surgery and then when people ask where they were they say they were on safari) to make myself feel better. Be assured, I will be watching lots of planet earth and discovery chanel to make my experience more authentic. So...kives, IVs, anesthetic, white walls and tiled floors for me tomorrow! Its a 6 week recovery. Can't leave the house for the first 2. If you live in AZ ( I know this group is small) come visit me and maybe you'll get to see my scar! If you live elsewhere, I may be able to pencil in some chatting time between book reading and movie watching. Here I go! Yikes.

3 comments:

  1. Dang. Good luck, Sarah. I expect you to be up and running in time for the family reunion:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's gonna be the sexiest scar in the world. for shore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. El Hombre de QuesoJuly 4, 2009 at 12:36 AM

    What's "Kraken"?

    BTW, "...in lew..." = "...in lieu..."

    6 weeks is a long recovery. Kind of wish I'd heard about it sooner! I could have visited you by now since you're about... 30 mins away. Oh well Sarah-san! :(

    ReplyDelete