10.25.2010

Monday

Cold was drifting in with the neighbors dog’s voice when I woke up in my dark bedroom today. I opened the dusted blinds to check the forecast but things weren’t looking favorable, not that I could tell because I saw only black. So I hurried and stood out of the water stream behind the new shower curtain until the steam warmed enough to coax me in. I arrived to my class panting with a dripping head of shower and rain, and my students stared at me like they were bored and nervous (paper due at 8am. “we thought at 4pm.” Okay, by 4pm but I’m being real nice so you had better like me, please).

We talked about globalization and how it encompasses everything else and how they could write about avatar or invictus or torture in heath’s last movie, or poverty or aids or war. And I felt sad to think about Mandela in that tiny cell for twentysevenlongyearsofhislife. That is my life+five years. But my students don’t know my age because I trick them to think I am older to compensate for my doll baby face. My baby face framed by cold wet rain-and hot shower hair.

Waiting for those students to turn in their papers made it a long day so I went to hear about vampires: creepy, snarky, puffy guys with one nostril and pink skin, according to eastern European peasants in the eighteenth century.
A very long day.
My throat feels a little sore and my head is a bit aching but maybe it’s because I got too much sleep last night because I didn’t feel so hot when I went to bed (besides my temperature) but I felt cold when I woke up because it was misty and dark and still, with only one voice echoing in my room.

6 comments:

  1. i want more of this. lovely. you know who you totally look like, Keri Russell- which is a totally compliment because I think she is beautiful. i wish i were in your english class, i want to write about globalization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a good teacher, methinks. mmhmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved that. you just solidified yourself as a writer in my head

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man...maybe I should come to your class so I can learn to write like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your writing like this is purely refreshing. You make your day beautiful with words like these.

    ReplyDelete