1.10.2010

My brain is turning to slosh

I have done some pretty dumb things lately:
1. During finals week, I left my car lights on so that the battery died and I needed to get a jump.
2. A few days later I tried to go skiing in Park City. I was supposed to meet my friend up there but my phone died, so I logically pulled over to use a pay phone to call her and figure out meeting place/ time ect. When I got to the phone I realized I had no money, and had to collect call her mother to get her number. I did this with success, only to get said friend's voice mail. I returned to my car, thinking I would have a lonely ski day---and saw my keys sitting on the drivers seat with the doors locked. I was forced to wait without a jacket for two hours until someone came and got my keys out. I had about an hour to ski after all of that. Miraculously, my friend found me and we skied to the parking lot together.
3. After one trip to the post office during grad applications week, I returned after I failed to realize I had to mail my writing sample to Colorado and had to overnight it. The cost was a whopping $27. I was going to Boulder the following day to see my sister, and could have easily hand delivered it.
4. I left my beloved cello in the car overnight this week. (ps I freaked out last semester while on tour because I would NOT leave my cello under the bus in the cold)
5. Same night, I also left the car lights on. Linx had to jump me, again. (it was my birthday too)
6. Here is the ultimate: I did fairly well on the GRE in Dec. but decided to retake it to see if I could up my anty a bit for grad school. I arrived yesterday at the testing center, was totally prepped and ready to own. The girl working informed me that my test was actually scheduled for Friday, not Saturday, and that I had missed it. What? Yes! I missed my appointment, they wouldn't let me retake the exam that day, nor would they offer me a refund. The chick also said she had seen my name on the list the day before but didn't call me. Thank you, testing center lady for helping us all succeed. $150 bucks for nothing.
7. Then, last night, I missed one of my good friend's wedding receptions. I completely spaced it.
*If I no longer remember your name in a few days, don't hate me, it is probably just dementia setting in.

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, a good friend recently said something to me that I feel is pertinent to your situation: Sometimes you just have to connect the dots, you don't have to see the whole picture.

    Basically, looking at the whole picture might make you go more crazy, so just take the dumb things you do each day and shake them off. Take and shake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being absent minded is a Campbell trait, or so my dad says. He also said it's a sign of high intelligence. I like to think he's right.

    And p.s.-- there was this time I was brushing my teeth and when I was done I threw my toothbrush in the garbage can without a thought. One of the thousands of examples I could give you of my spacing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - i thought i was going crazy.
    i love you and miss you SAC

    ReplyDelete