11.29.2009

riding the line


I went to Costa Rica after I graduated from high school. The timing worked out because I had just broken my heart by breaking someone else's-- and the spanish, jungles, beaches and pineapple provided fantastic distraction. We went ziplining through the rain forest. This was no ordinary zip line- the longest was 1/2 mile and reached speeds of 60 mph. In between each line, we hiked to the next tree or metal platform to climb up the stairs and begin anew. The tallest platform was several stories high and was waving in the wind because it was stormy. Breathless, I summited those steps into white fog. I couldn't see beyond the platform edge. Once strapped into my harness I sort of panicked. The predictable green was spread below and the sky only white. Skies aren't supposed to be white. I had no idea what was beyond that edge...it was foggy and windy and raining and the line was bouncing.

I feel this way again--panicky, excited, sightless, breathless, and scared out of my mind. I have no idea where I will be next year. Could be seattle, boulder, boston, phoenix, provo, salt lake, tuscon...

Hiking with my dad every morning over break was so needed. It is what we do, always. (His desk contains a lot: pictures of his children, ridiculous post-it notes from me, a rancor statue from star wars, an alien doll I made him in 3rd grade, court papers, scriptures, fish hooks, and so many books. So many books.) He wondered aloud where I will be next year...and then I wondered the same thing, and what will I be doing? Will I have friends? Will I be brave? Will everything seem too new?

I take the GRE on Saturday. Pray for me.

Just so you know, I jumped off that platform with a shout and the ride ended up being one of the most exciting thrills of my life. I'm going to make this one be the same. Hooty Hoo!

8 comments:

  1. sac.
    i respect you.
    but then i got confused when you said hooty hoo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to add that you might end up in new york

    ReplyDelete
  3. you will do great things, i'm excited for you.

    good luck with the GRE... you will pass with flying colors, your a campbell! If you get stumped just imagine me with blond hair. it will be crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anna- i dyed my hair dark. that is crazy. it looks bad.

    liz-- hooty hoo is the shout my family makes when they are about to do something exciting, instead of woo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been there...and it is crazy...but totally worth it. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl!!!! you've got lots to look forward to, and you will be brave, and you will do great! We just heard back from ANU, Alex is in!!!! Things always work out in the end, it's the anticipation that is so excruciating. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm at that place right now...ahhhhh! But move to Phoenix so we can live together. You'll do wonderful things, I know this about you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo I just read a lot of your blog posts instead of writing this paper, but it was worth it- you are amazing. I hope you rocked the GRE.

    ReplyDelete